By Julie Johnson, Marathon Race Director
Ahhhh, Spring! I am so looking forward to warmer weather. I love being outside, hearing the birds, smelling fresh grass being mowed, and of course, enjoying a little outdoor marathon training. But even a running enthusiast like myself can grow bored with their training routine, which is why I like to break up the monotony with a few local race events.
In addition to increasing motivation for the big event, I find sprinkling in a few smaller races provides:
- A new experience (and potentially a new T-shirt and medal for participating)
- An opportunity to recruit friends to join me (and build their interest in future events)
- Valuable practice for determining my pace and running alongside others
- The confidence boost of crossing a finish line while mentally preparing for the marathon
- A deeper connection to my personal race goal, and what I need to do to get there
Hopefully, you’ve already signed up for this year’s Community First Fox Cities Marathon Presented by Miron Construction. If not, there’s still time and space to register for any of the weekend’s events. Whether your spot is secure, or you have yet to commit, September can seem like a long way off. So, we’ve assembled the following list of upcoming local races to kickstart your training and keep you motivated until marathon weekend.
FOX CITIES RACE OPPORTUNITIES
- Door County Half Marathon & 5K (Fish Creek) – May 6
- Soleburner 5K (Appleton) – May 13
- Cellcom Green Bay Marathon, Half Marathon & 5K – May 21
- Kickin’ It with the Cows (Wrightstown) – August 12