In the interest of promoting and providing an enjoyable race experience for all of our race participants – regardless of speed – the Community First Fox Cities Marathon Presented by Miron Construction encourages good running etiquette. We encourage ALL participants to abide by the following safety guidelines that are even more important with the incorporation of off-road trails.
- Never run/walk more than two abreast if you are running in a group; don’t be a trail hog.
- Don’t run/walk down the middle of the trail – stay to the right
- Be aware of your surroundings and other participants attempting to pass you; depending on where you are on the course, it may or may not be closed to traffic
- Yield the right of way to all police and emergency vehicles/medical personnel; also yield the course to wheelchair athletes – you can change direction or stop a lot faster than they can, especially on a downhill
- If you are wearing headphones, keep the volume low enough to be able to hear what is going on around you
- If you need to stop for any reason, move to the side and step off the trail for the safety of you and other participants
If you are being passed –
- Assuming it is safe to do so, move to the right side of the trail and allow the faster participant to pass you on your left
If you are doing the passing –
- Alert fellow participants you are about to pass, giving them enough time to respond. A simple alert such as, ‘Coming on your left’ works well.
- Please pass in a single-file order on the left side of the other participant
- Do not stay on the left side of the trail, when you are finished passing the participants and it is safe to do so, merge back to the right side of the trail