Marathon, Relay & Half Marathon Training Runs and Walks May – September
2021 training plans begin May 23 with the first training runs on May 29. Training runs are hosted by PaceSetters of the Fox Cities Running Club and start at 7 a.m. every Saturday at Run Away Shoes in Appleton – rain or shine! (Please visit the PaceSetters of the Fox Cities Facebook page for updates if there is inclement weather – or the possibility of it.)
At our in-person training runs, the PaceSetters provide support to runners and walkers of all ages, paces and experience levels. Run/Walk support is provided for full, half and relay training. Relay runners are encouraged to use the half marathon schedule.
New COVID Safety Protocols will be implemented this year:
- Updated on 5/26/21: We will have water on course!
- Updated 5/26/21: Wear a mask if not vaccinated per CDC guidance – you can remove when running/walking
- Practice social distancing at all times
- Avoid congregating before and after training runs
We will monitor and modify per CDC recommendations.
Start / Finish Location: Run Away Shoes
W3192 County Road KK, Appleton
What to expect at Training Runs/Walks
- Free and open to the public!
- Mapped routes, turn-by-turn directions
- Routes include sections along the Fox Cities Marathon course
- ThedaCare Orthopedics Plus Physical Therapists on site to answer your questions after week 3
- A safe and runner/walker friendly course
- Knowledgeable PaceSetters Running Club and Fox Cities Marathon Staff present to answer any questions regarding training, registration, etc.
- Water & Gatorade support along the course for a 13:30 pace. Snacks, coffee, water & Gatorade at the finish. We will bring these amenities back when able.
Fox Cities MRTT/SRTT Training Runs
Our local chapter of Moms Run This Town/She Runs This Town also meet on Saturdays for group training runs but at different locations. To stay up to date with MRTT/SRTT training runs, you can join their group on Facebook.
2021 Training Run & Walk Schedule
See below for the tentative 2021 training run schedule dates and distances. For additional information, including links to maps and directions for each week’s training route, please go to the PaceSetters Running Club website. For a full training schedule, download the ThedaCare Training Guide.
|Date||Marathon Distance||Half Marathon Distance|
May 22 – Kickoff Fun Run and Information at Riverside Park, Neenah
|June 12 – ThedaCare Physical Therapists available after training runs starting this week||11||6|
|Sept. 19||Community First Fox Cities Marathon|
5k and 10k Training Programs
2021 Details Coming This Summer
We’re excited to partner again with Fleet Feet Fox Valley, SCHEELS and Ascension to offer 5K and 10K training programs. We kicked off a new 5K program with Fleet Feet in 2019 and are working on plans for this year. Stay tuned for details on these fun 10-week training programs for the Ascension 5K Run/Walk and new SCHEELS 10K Run, both races are held on Sept. 18 as part of our marathon weekend of events.
The 2019 Fleet Feet training program featured one group work out every week, Thursdays at 6 p.m. from Community First Credit Union’s Home Office at 1575 Dresang Way in the Village of Fox Crossing. Group workouts were fully supported run/walks complete with hydration stations, turn-by-turn routes, and a team of mentors. Participants also received a comprehensive weekly newsletter, Facebook group, prizes and guest presenters on a variety of topics including nutrition, motivation, injury prevention and more. There was also a virtual option for those outside the area or who can’t make the group run schedule. Fleet Feet Fox Valley has more than 10 years of experience offering a 5K training program and the continued success of their graduates is proof that the program is effective at getting you to your goal. Their programs are progressive in nature, with each week building upon the last – slow, steady and consistent!