More than 200 students at 16 area schools participated in this year’s School Specialty School Challenge, part of the Community First Fox Cities Marathon Presented by Miron Construction weekend of events.
The challenge encourages schools to bring students together on race weekend to focus on getting kids active. Students can participate in any of the events, but most participate in the Guardian Kids Fun Run and the Ascension 5K Run/Walk.
“The mission of the Community First Fox Cities Marathon is to inspire health, wellness and community – one step at a time,” said Laurie Butz, marathon team lead. “It’s amazing to see the kids reach their goal and see their excitement at the finish line. Our goal is to encourage young and old to participate and this hopefully gets kids hooked on a healthy activity early in life.”
The top schools this year are:
- First Place Winners of $1,000 in School Specialty Gift Certificates
- Freedom Elementary (Large)
- Spring Road Elementary in Neenah (Medium)
- Celebration Lutheran School in Appleton (Small)
- Second Place Winners of $500 in School Specialty Gift Certificates
- Westside Elementary in Kimberly (Large)
- Badger Elementary in Appleton (Medium)
- St. Edward School in Appleton (Small)
- Third Place Winners of $250 in School Specialty Gift Certificates
- Janet Berry Elementary in Appleton (Large)
- St. Paul Lutheran in Appleton (Small)
The School Specialty School Challenge is free to all elementary, middle and high schools (public and parochial) in the Fox Cities and surrounding school districts. Winners are based on the percentage of students who participant.