Mother Nature is bringing unseasonably warm temperatures to the Fox Cities for the weekend of marathon events, including the Full Marathon, Half Marathon, Relay Marathon, 5K, Kids Run, Diaper Dash & Toddler Trot.
Our staff along with our Medical Director and medical team has been monitoring the forecast and potential impacts to you. Our first priority is your safety in conditions that are beyond all of our control.
Kids Run, Diaper Dash, Toddler Trot and 5K Will Go On As Planned
Participants of these races are encouraged to adjust to the temperatures by increasing hydration before, during and after each event. Monitor your exertion levels and adjust accordingly, to ensure a safe and successful finish.
Full Course & Half Marathon Course Anticipated to Open Under Yellow Caution Flag and Progress to Red Caution By Late Morning
Currently, Sunday’s forecast includes temperatures in the upper 60’s at the Start Line and in the upper 80’s in early afternoon with high humidity in the morning that decreases as the day goes on. At this time, we plan to continue with both the Full and Half Marathon courses. Both races will start under a Yellow Caution Flag and are anticipated to progress into a Red Caution Flag by late morning/early afternoon.
- Yellow Caution: Less than ideal conditions. Slow down your pace and monitor your performance. Use course resources (water, medical and cooling)
- Red Caution: Elevated dangerous conditions. Slow your pace further. Participants at risk for heat collapse should seek immediate medical attention from medical patrol, water station, medical tent or course marshal.
Course conditions will be indicated at each Water Station with the corresponding flag color. Make it a point to monitor the course conditions throughout the day.
Because we will be operating under caution for the entire race, the following adjustments will be observed on the Full Course:
•Full Marathon Participants should plan to average a 15 minute-mile pace at a minimum.
•Participants must reach Mile 14 by 10:30am
•Participants must reach Mile 20 by 12:30pm
•The course will close at 2pm – no exceptions.
Full and Half Preparation & Conditions
You know your level of training, preparation and conditioning best. We are encouraging each of you to make a personal decision about the combination of heat and humidity with your readiness and how you might adapt your pace and goals. A finish is a finish, the time is secondary.
Your Health Comes Before Any Finish
Plan for additional hydration before, during and post-race.
- Take advantage of our Start Line Water Station or bring your own water to the start line.
- There are 20 water stations on the Full Marathon Course with Water and Gatorade
- Manage extra hydration with over 150 restrooms located at the Start Line, on the course
and at the Finish Line.
Adjust your pace and expectations.
- Consider modifying your pace to match the conditions and your body’s ability to adjust.
- Conditions may not be the best to go for a Personal Record. But your accomplishment will be
- no less celebrated – Ring the PR Bell to celebrate your adjusted goal.
- Do not increase your pace to meet course adjustments for time.
Help us help you.
- Complete your medical information via our partner runnershealth.com and/or on the back of your bib so we can provide you with the most appropriate medical care if needed.
- As soon as you notice something may be wrong including lightheadedness or dizziness, an unusually elevated heart rate or lack of perspiration, seek medical attention at a Water Station, with our Medical Team who continuously patrol the course, Medical Tents on the course or Course Marshals at intersections. All can access the assistance you need to continue or call it a day.
Option for Full Marathon Participants – Switch from the Full to the Half Marathon with No Fee & a Discount for 2018.
Because of the forecast, we are offering Full Marathon Participants the opportunity to switch to the Half Marathon with NO CHANGE FEE.
- No fee to change races
- Receive a $20 Discount to register for the 2018 Full Marathon Distance (Sept. 21-23, 2018). (Must start the 2017 race to receive the discount.)
Note: Bib transfers between individuals will follow normal processes and fees.
Switch Races At the Expo
To switch from the Full to the Half – visit the Solutions table at the Network Health Health & Wellness Expo & Packet Pickup; held at UW Fox; 1478 Midway Rd, Menasha. The Expo is open Friday September 22nd from 4pm-8pm and Saturday September 23rd from 9am-6pm.
Keeping an Eye on the Weather
We will continue to monitor the weather forecast and conditions and reserve the right to modify or cancel based on the risk it presents. Please stay tuned to our Facebook page, website, media outlets and your email for updates. Listen to announcements from our Medical Director at the Start Line on Sunday Morning for important reminders and updates as well.
We are so grateful to be welcoming you to the Start Line
and thank you for your cooperation as
we work and adjust together for a weekend of safe races.